This is not intended as a comprehensive history of the Town of Hooksett, but as a record of some events and highlight happenings beginning from the time the earliest mention is made of people and events
recorded in various town records and histories, namely: Chester, Goffstown and Dunbarton, of which this town was originally a part.
The origin of the name Hooksett dates back to early State history. Some of the early State papers mention the name of Isle au Hooksett, and Isle au Hooksett Falls was referred to many years prior to the incorporation and naming of the Town. The earliest year such names appear is around 1719.
Chester history speaks of that part of the town (Hooksett) east of the Merrimack River as White Pine Country or Chester Woods. No derivation of the name Hooksett is found recorded in any available history. In the records of an early survey of this section, the Pinnacle and adjacent area is referred to as Hanna-Ko-Kees Hills.
The J. Martin settlement was said to be one of the oldest settlements in the area, and was located at the corner of the Whitehall Road and Londonderry Turnpike. At this point, the town of Chester erected what was known as Martin's school in 1808 at a cost of $112.00 on land deeded to the school district by two grantors.
The Whitehall and Wiggin settlements were located in the area known now as Rowe's Corner and Hall Mountain. The Chester Turnpike ran through this area and at one time was one of the principal thoroughfares from Concord to Boston. There was a toll house in this area, also Langley's Tavern, a famous stopping place for the stage coaches. A school was also located in this district for many years, known as the Beech Hill school.
While former issues of the N. H. Manual For The General Court have carried the information that - "In 1853 part of Hooksett was annexed to Allenstown," examination of the Hooksett Town Records of that period does not indicate any record of action in this respect; the best information derived from other sources is to the effect that a relatively small section located in the Hall Mountain area was transferred to Allenstown. This would represent sub-marginal land which is now understood to be included in the Bear Hill Reservation operated under the direction of the State of New Hampshire containing recreational facilities.
At the time of incorporation, Hooksett was included in the county of Hillsborough. Merrimack County was formed in 1823 and Hooksett was then included in the same, being the southernmost township within the bounds of that county.