Make Your Home Fire Safe:
- Install battery-powered smoke detectors outside each sleeping area and on each additional level of your home.
- Use the test button to check each smoke detector once per month.
- Replace batteries immediately, or at least once per year.
- Be sure to have a working fire extinguisher in the kitchen and make sure you know how to use it.
Plan Your Escape Routes:
- Determine at least two routes of escape for every room in your home.
- I you must use an escape ladder, be sure everyone knows how to use it.
- Select a location outside your home where everyone would meet after escaping.
- Practice your escape plan at least twice per year.
- Once you are out, STAY OUT!
- If you see smoke in your first escape route, use your second way out.
- If you must exit through smoke, crawl low under the smoke to escape.
- Feel all closed doors prior to opening. If the door is hot, use your second way out.
- If smoke, heat, or flames block your exit routes, stay in the room with the door closed.
- If you are unable to escape, signal for help by using brightly colored cloth at the window or by using a whistle.