Land Use FAQ's

Land Use FAQ
Where can I get a copy of my plot plan (metes & bounds)?
Hard copies of subdivision plans (residential) or site plans (businesses or multi-unit residential) are available in the Community Development Department, Planning Office. Home building plans or septic plans are available in the Code Enforcement/Building Office. Both offices are located on the second floor of Town Hall. There is a minimal fee per hard copy.

Electronic copies of the above are available via e-mail attachment in PDF format. To request this version, contact the appropriate office above via phone or e-mail and provide your name, contact information, and property address/map & lot you are inquiring about. There is no fee for electronic copies.

Property owners can also view their lot with a variety of other information (including aerial photography) on the Town’s GIS webpage.
What Zoning District is my lot in?
Hooksett is made up of many different zoning districts. These districts are displayed on the Town’s zoning map.

An additional way to determine a parcel’s zoning is to use the Town’s GIS webpage. You can search for a parcel by Owner’s name, parcel ID, or property address. Once you have found your parcel, select the “Zoning Map” option from the “Map Layers” in the left-side panel. The screen will redraw with symbols and colors that indicate the zoning.
What are the setback and acreage zoning requirements for my parcel?
The requirements for each zoning district are different. These can be found here. You may also contact the Code Enforcement/Building Office for further assistance.
Can I subdivide my parcel?
Generally speaking, it is difficult to determine if a residential lot can be subdivided without utilizing the services of a land surveyor or engineering firm.

In addition to the minimum lot size requirements, each new lot is required to have a certain amount of feet of frontage (depending on the zoning of each home being proposed) on a public roadway and accommodate septic and well areas if not on Town services.

Contact the Town Planner in the Community Development Department to ask specific questions about your parcel. Any subdivision proposed is subject to Planning Board approval, in accordance with the Town’s Development Regulations.
Where can I find out where a well, water lines, sewer lines & septic system are?
Water Lines: There are five service providers for the Town:

  • Manchester Water Works (South Hooksett) – 624-6494
  • Central Water Precinct (Central Hooksett) – 624-0608
  • Village Water Precinct (Village & North Hooksett) – 485-3392
  • Pembroke Water Works (Allenstown border) - 485-3362
  • Pennichuck Water Works (Candia border) -  882-5191
Sewer Lines: There is one service provider for the Town:

  • Hooksett Sewer Commission – 485-7000
Wells & Septic Systems: Contact the Code Enforcement/Building Office.
Where can I get a copy of the Town maps (zoning, streets, etc.)?
Many are available on the Town’s GIS webpage. For hard copies, please visit the Community Development Department.
Where can I find flood maps?
The Code Enforcement/Building Office has flood maps available for review. The maps are also available on the FEMA Map Service Center website. After entering an address, follow the directions to create a FIRMette to create a printable letter size version of your area of interest.
Where can I get information about applying for a site or subdivision plan?
Most answers are located on the Town's Community Development Dept. webpage. You are also welcome to contact the Town Planner or Assistant Planner with questions.
What is the difference between the Planning Board and the Community Development Dept.?
The Planning Board is a seven member Board appointed by the Town Council that meets twice a month. The Planning Board is charged with specific duties and responsibilities to include: long range planning (Master Plan), review of subdivision plans and site plans, holding public hearings and forwarding recommendations on proposed zoning changes, and development of the Capital Improvement Program (CIP).

The Community Development Department consists of four staff members: Town Planner, Assistant Planner, Code Enforcement Officer and Building Administrative Assistant. The staff provide technical and administrative support to the Planning Board, Economic Development Committee, Capital Improvement Program (CIP) Committee, Zoning Board of Adjustment and other related groups. Additionally, the staff are responsible for coordinating the subdivision and site plan review process, code enforcement and permitting process.
When is the next Planning Board meeting and/or submission deadline?
The Planning Board typically meets the first and third Monday of each month. Submission deadlines and agendas are posted on the Town’s webpage.
Can anyone attend the Planning Board meetings?
Yes. The meetings are always open to the public and people are encouraged to ask questions or make comments. Please contact the Community Development Dept. prior to the meeting for information on agenda items.

Planning Board meetings are also videotaped and available for viewing live and archived for viewing past meetings.
Where can I find the Planning Board minutes?
Minutes from May 2008 and later are available on the on the Planning Board webpage. Minutes prior to May 2008 are available in the Community Development Department.
Where can I get the status of current projects in Town?
Contact the Community Development Department: (603) 268-0279
What is the Master Plan?
As referenced in NH Office of Energy and Planning Board Handbook and Southern New Hampshire Planning Commission, in the simplest terms, a Master Plan is a planning document that serves to guide the overall character, physical form, growth, and development of a community. It describes how, why, where, and when to build or rebuild a city or town. It provides guidance to local officials when they are making decisions on budgets, ordinances, capital improvements, zoning and subdivision matters, and other growth related issues.

A master plan provides an opportunity for community leaders to look ahead, establish new visions and directions, set goals, and map out plans for the future. Properly done, a Master Plan should describe where, how, and at what pace a community desires to develop physically, economically, and socially.  In short, a Master Plan functions much like a road map or a blueprint; it is a guide to the future.

Hooksett last updated the Master Plan in 2004.
What maps are available online?
The Town’s Community Development Dept. webpage and/or the Town’s GIS webpage provide the following maps: base map (streets), aerial imagery, zoning, community facilities, conservation land, Groundwater Resource Conservation District, NWI wetlands, prime wetlands, TIF District, utilities (including sewer lines and water service areas), bedrock geology, contour lines, flood map, drainage, Town owned properties, transfer routes, and Wellhead Protection Area.

For tax maps, access the Town’s Assessing Dept. webpage. Each of the files can be opened and viewed, saved or printed using Adobe Acrobat.
Can I print the maps at home?
Yes. You can print the GIS maps and tax maps from your home computer in 8.5 x 11 format.