What is the current tax rate per thousand?
The official 2022 tax rate is $24.05 per thousand.
What is the current assessment level (ratio)?
The official and latest 2022, DRA assessment ratio for the town is 63.1%.
When will the next re-assessment be?
Legislation passed in 2002 states that each municipality must "value anew" all property at least once every 5 years, beginning in 2003. At this time the next update/re-assessment is scheduled for 2023.
When does the tax year start?
The tax year by State Law starts on April 1st and runs through March 31st (the next year). When you are building a structure, you are taxed on what is there on April 1st of any year. When you remove a structure (i.e., pool), if it is taken down after April 1st, you will be taxed until the next year.
When do I apply for an exemption or credit?
April 15th is the deadline for all applications for exemptions and credits. Click here to see exemptions on our website for specifics, or call the Assessor’s office at (603) 268-0003 for more information
How do I apply for an abatement?
Abatement forms are available in the Assessor’s office and online after the final tax notice (December tax bill) has been mailed. The last day to apply for an abatement is March 1st following the final tax bill. 
When are taxes due?
The Town of Hooksett bills for property taxes semi-annually. Tax bills are generally due in July and December. July’s bill is estimated based on July’s assessment multiplied by the previous year’s tax rate times 50%. The final bill, using the actual tax rate for the year multiplied by the December (final) assessment minus the payment received in July. The due date is 30 days from the date the tax bills are mailed. 12% APR interest charged after the due date.
How is an assessment determined?
The Assessor’s Office studies the market and collects information about properties to estimate the fair market value. Please remember that the Assessor’s Office does not determine the total amount of taxes collected. It is the Assessor’s responsibility to find the fair market value of your property so that you may pay only your fair share of the taxes. The amount of taxes you pay is determined by a tax rate applied to your property’s assessed value. The tax rate is based on the funds needed to provide the services included in the approved town/school budget. Each year, sometime in October, this tax rate is set and it is reflected on the final tax bill which is due sometime in December.
I just purchased my home and find the assessed value exceed what I paid, what can I do?
One way to determine if you are properly assessed is to take the purchase price of your home and multiply it by the assessment ratio for that year. (For 2015, this would be as follows: $250,000 purchase price x 89% ratio = $222,500 (equalized assessment). If you find a significant difference (10% either side) between the purchase price and the equalized assessment, you may want to stop in our office to review your property record.
How does a revaluation/property value update coincide with the budget process?
The revaluation of all properties is not affected by the budget process. Once the dollars for the municipality, schools, and county budgets have been approved by their respective governing bodies, the tax rate is determined by dividing the final budget dollars, to be raised from the property tax, by the community's total assessed valuation. Property taxes are, in effect, voterapproved spending. The next full town-wide revaluation is in the process of being budgeted for the 2018 property tax year.
When was Hooksett's last re-assessed (revaluation)?
Hooksett completed a statistical update with values as of April 1, 2013; the previous update was in 2008. The 2013 update project was conducted by Vision Appraisal Services with the assistance of Town Staff and review by the New Hampshire Department of Revenue Administration.
When do I need a permit to cut down trees?
In accordance with RSA 79, Timber Tax, an “intent to cut” application must be completed and submitted to the Assessing Department before any timber can be cut from any property. The application can be completed by the logger but must be signed by the owner, as the owner is the person responsible for the payment of the timber tax. There can be exceptions to a cut. The law allows for up to 10,000 board feet of logs or 20 cords of wood yield tax free per tax year, so long as the logs or wood is used for the personal use of the owner. The logs or wood cannot be sold or even given in lieu of payment for the timber cut; a yield tax would be issued if that were the case. For purposes of land conversion, for example land developed for a house, “intent to cut” is not required if less than 10,000 board feet or 20 cords of wood are cut. Applications are available at the Assessor’s office; contact us if you have any questions.
How do I access the Assessing database to view an assessment, and/or print a property record card?

The Assessing office has a computer available for public use. You may also click here to visit the online Assessing database.

How can I access the tax maps?
The tax maps are available online here.
Tax Collector
How often and when will I get a Tax Bill?
The Town of Hooksett mails out their bills semi-annually. The first bill is an estimate, based on one half of the previous tax rate. This tax bill goes out in June and is due 30 days from when it is mailed, normally beginning of July each year. The second property tax bill is based off the tax rate that is set by the State of New Hampshire each fall. This bill goes out 30 days before the due date.
Effective July 1, 2023 New Fees for Electric Vehicles
Effective July 1, 2023

As defined by NH R.S.A 236:132, I. A Battery electric vehicle will have a surcharge of $100.00 assessed on the registration.

As defined by NH R.S.A 236:132, V. A Plug-In hybrid vehicle will have a surcharge of $50.00 assessed on the registration.
Renewal Requirements for a Business in the Town of Hooksett
A Business in the Town of Hooksett must meet all of the residency requirements as listed under the FAQ.The business must also be ACTIVE or in GOOD STANDING with the New Hampshire Secretary of State.
Proof of Residency Requirements
If it is your first time registering a vehicle in the Town of Hooksett NH you must provide proof of residency by providing us with at least one of the following:

  • Lease or rental agreement (properly signed by both parties).
  • Copy of property owner’s current (within 60 days) major utility bill and signed note from that person stating you live there (if the utilities are not billed in your name).
  • Any current (within 60 days) utility bill in your name with service at address provided*
    • Gas (natural propane)
    • Electric
    • Oil
    • Water/sewer
    • Cable/dish service
    • Telephone (for fixed service not cellular/wireless service)
    • *please not past due notices, disconnect letters, and/or welcome letters are not acceptable it must be an actual current (within 60 days) bill.
    • If you are a NEW BUSINESS or Renewing Business to the Town of Hooksett you must be in good standing with the New Hampshire Secretary of State

Thank you, The Town of Hooksett, NH Tax Collector’s office.
How to apply for a dog license?
Click here to visit the Town Clerk's page.
How to apply for a marriage license?
Click here to visit the Town Clerk's page.
What is the tax Year for the Town of Hooksett?
The tax year runs for the first issue tax bill from April 1st through September 30th.

The tax year runs for the second issue tax bill from October 1st through March 31th.
Planning Board
Where can I get a copy of my plot plan (metes & bounds)?
Hard copies of subdivision plans (residential) or site plans (businesses or multi-unit residential) are available in the Community Development Department, Planning Office. Home building plans or septic plans are available in the Code Enforcement/Building Office. Both offices are located on the second floor of Town Hall. There is a minimal fee per hard copy.

Electronic copies of the above are available via e-mail attachment in PDF format. To request this version, contact the appropriate office above via phone or e-mail and provide your name, contact information, and property address/map & lot you are inquiring about. There is no fee for electronic copies.

Property owners can also view their lot with a variety of other information (including aerial photography) on the Town’s GIS webpage.
What Zoning District is my lot in?
Hooksett is made up of many different zoning districts. These districts are displayed on the Town’s zoning map.

An additional way to determine a parcel’s zoning is to use the Town’s GIS webpage. You can search for a parcel by Owner’s name, parcel ID, or property address. Once you have found your parcel, select the “Zoning Map” option from the “Map Layers” in the left-side panel. The screen will redraw with symbols and colors that indicate the zoning.
What are the setback and acreage zoning requirements for my parcel?
The requirements for each zoning district are different. These can be found here. You may also contact the Code Enforcement/Building Office for further assistance.
Can I subdivide my parcel?
Generally speaking, it is difficult to determine if a residential lot can be subdivided without utilizing the services of a land surveyor or engineering firm.

In addition to the minimum lot size requirements, each new lot is required to have a certain amount of feet of frontage (depending on the zoning of each home being proposed) on a public roadway and accommodate septic and well areas if not on Town services.

Contact the Town Planner in the Community Development Department to ask specific questions about your parcel. Any subdivision proposed is subject to Planning Board approval, in accordance with the Town’s Development Regulations.
Where can I find out where a well, water lines, sewer lines & septic system are?
Water Lines: There are five service providers for the Town:

  • Manchester Water Works (South Hooksett) – 624-6494
  • Central Water Precinct (Central Hooksett) – 624-0608
  • Village Water Precinct (Village & North Hooksett) – 485-3392
  • Pembroke Water Works (Allenstown border) - 485-3362
  • Pennichuck Water Works (Candia border) -  882-5191

Sewer Lines: There is one service provider for the Town:

  • Hooksett Sewer Commission – 485-7000
Wells & Septic Systems: Contact the Code Enforcement/Building Office.
Where can I get a copy of the Town maps (zoning, streets, etc.)?
Many are available on the Town’s GIS webpage. For hard copies, please visit the Community Development Department.
Where can I find flood maps?
The Code Enforcement/Building Office has flood maps available for review. The maps are also available on the FEMA Map Service Center website. After entering an address, follow the directions to create a FIRMette to create a printable letter size version of your area of interest.
Where can I get information about applying for a site or subdivision plan?
Most answers are located on the Town's Community Development Dept. webpage. You are also welcome to contact the Town Planner or Assistant Planner with questions.
What is the difference between the Planning Board and the Community Development Dept.?
The Planning Board is a seven member Board appointed by the Town Council that meets twice a month. The Planning Board is charged with specific duties and responsibilities to include: long range planning (Master Plan), review of subdivision plans and site plans, holding public hearings and forwarding recommendations on proposed zoning changes, and development of the Capital Improvement Program (CIP).
The Community Development Department consists of four staff members: Town Planner, Assistant Planner, Code Enforcement Officer and Building Administrative Assistant. The staff provide technical and administrative support to the Planning Board, Economic Development Committee, Capital Improvement Program (CIP) Committee, Zoning Board of Adjustment and other related groups. Additionally, the staff are responsible for coordinating the subdivision and site plan review process, code enforcement and permitting process.
When is the next Planning Board meeting and/or submission deadline?
The Planning Board typically meets the first and third Monday of each month. Submission deadlines and agendas are posted on the Town’s webpage.
Can anyone attend the Planning Board meetings?
  • Yes. The meetings are always open to the public and people are encouraged to ask questions or make comments. Please contact the Community Development Dept. prior to the meeting for information on agenda items.
  • Planning Board meetings are also videotaped and available for viewing live and archived for viewing past meetings.
Where can I find the Planning Board minutes?
Minutes from May 2008 and later are available on the on the Planning Board webpage. Minutes prior to May 2008 are available in the Community Development Department.
Where can I get the status of current projects in Town?
Contact the Community Development Department: (603) 268-0279
What is the Master Plan?
As referenced in NH Office of Energy and Planning Board Handbook and Southern New Hampshire Planning Commission, in the simplest terms, a Master Plan is a planning document that serves to guide the overall character, physical form, growth, and development of a community. It describes how, why, where, and when to build or rebuild a city or town. It provides guidance to local officials when they are making decisions on budgets, ordinances, capital improvements, zoning and subdivision matters, and other growth related issues.
A master plan provides an opportunity for community leaders to look ahead, establish new visions and directions, set goals, and map out plans for the future. Properly done, a Master Plan should describe where, how, and at what pace a community desires to develop physically, economically, and socially.  In short, a Master Plan functions much like a road map or a blueprint; it is a guide to the future.
Hooksett last updated the Master Plan in 2004.
What maps are available online?
The Town’s Community Development Dept. webpage and/or the Town’s GIS webpage provide the following maps: base map (streets), aerial imagery, zoning, community facilities, conservation land, Groundwater Resource Conservation District, NWI wetlands, prime wetlands, TIF District, utilities (including sewer lines and water service areas), bedrock geology, contour lines, flood map, drainage, Town owned properties, transfer routes, and Wellhead Protection Area.
For tax maps, access the Town’s Assessing Dept. webpage. Each of the files can be opened and viewed, saved or printed using Adobe Acrobat.
Can I print the maps at home?
Yes. You can print the GIS maps and tax maps from your home computer in 8.5 x 11 format.